1 THE BLIND BOY
|
一 盲孩
|
Colley Cibber①
|
柯萊·西柏
|
| O say what is that thing call'd Light, |
你們說的"光",是什么東西, |
| Which I must ne'er enjoy; |
我永遠不可能感覺出來; |
| What are the blessings of the sight. |
你們能夠"看",是什么福氣, |
| O tell your poor blind boy ! |
請告訴我這可憐的盲孩! |
| You talk of wondrous things you see, |
你們講到了種種奇景, |
| You say the sun shines bright; |
你們說太陽光輝燦爛; |
| I feel him warm, but how can he |
我感到他溫暖,可他怎么能 |
| Or make it day or night? |
把世界分出黑夜和白天? |
| My day or night myself I make |
這會兒我玩耍,待會兒我睡覺, |
| Whene'er I sleep or play; |
這樣分我的白天和夜晚; |
| And could I ever keep awake |
假如我老是醒著,睡不著, |
| With me 'twere always day. |
我覺得那就是白天沒完。 |
| With heavy sighs I often hear |
我聽見你們一次又一次 |
| You mourn my hapless woe; |
為我的不幸而嘆息:唉…… |
| But sure with patience I can bear |
可我完全能忍受這損失—— |
| A loss I ne'er can know |
損失是什么我并不明白。 |
| Then let not what I cannot have |
別讓我永遠得不到的東西 |
| My cheer of mind destroy |
把我愉快的心情破壞: |
| Whilst thus I sing, I am a king, |
我歌唱,我就是快樂君王, |
| Although a poor blind boy |
盡管我是個可憐的盲孩。 |
| |
屠 岸譯 |